Concert Review: Polysics, Milwaukee, WI. October 22nd, 2007



I've never made it any secret that Polysics is my favorite band of all time. Sure, here on the A-Z I try to give everyone equal attention and respect, but I must admit, when it comes to Polysics, I have no sense of journalistic responsibility. I love them unconditionally.

I just returned from home from Milwaukee where Polysics played live as part of the first ever MySpace music tour. It was a rather long drive for us (my wife is also a big fan and let's face it, it's not like she has a choice, and a friend and fellow member of The Surfactants also came along) which turned it into a two day trip. All told we drove about 14 hours to see Polysics play for about 50 minutes. Obviously I feel it was worth every second.

I'll try to be brief.


We got to the show at 6pm and ended up waiting around for about an hour before they let us in to the main room. We were all packed into a bar located to the side of the main room and we could look out onto the stage though two large windows. They were still sound checking when we got there and I found it strange that we could just watch the whole thing. It was also very strange to see all of the members of Polysics hauling in their gear!

Now I know that they don't even begin to approach their fame in Japan here in America, but it was still a bit odd that they were forced to lug all of their own gear. I mean, this is a MySpace tour, and Polysics are a band signed to the MySpace record label. You'd think MySpace could afford to provide a few roadies. Apparently not.

Eventually (after many jokes from me and my friends about the relative age and/or appearance and/or finical status of the crowd) we got in. Of course all of the twinkie girls and boys rushed to the front of the stage even though (as it would be proven later) they had no idea who the opening band (Polysics) was. So we were about five or six people back from the front. No big whoop.





It wasn't long after that that the band hit the stage. Now, if you're totally unfamiliar with the live Polysics experience, let me sum it up: non-stop frenetic energy. Front-man Hiro never stops moving, even doing jumping-jacks whenever he's not madly playing guitar. The other members are also in constant motion, even keyboardist Kayo, who normally projects the air of a lifeless android. The all give 100% the entire time, with Hiro giving at least 1000%. Like my friend Marcus said after the show, "[Hiro] must go backstage afterward and eat an entire cow."

They played a full set, much to my relief. With an opening band you never know if you'll be getting a full hour or as little as 15 minutes. They played for a solid 50 minutes, and I mean solid. Non-stop. They hit all of their most accessible songs, like "Baby BIAS," "I My Me Mine," and "Electric Surfin' Go Go," but also pulled out the more challenging stuff like "Kaja Kaja Goo," "Peach Pie On The Beach" and one of my personal favorites "New Wave Jacket," which really surprised me. They also played "Coelakanth is Android," but the rest of their set is just a blur in my brain.

Overall, the sound in the room was awful. Very muddy and one big wall of static. Then again, that's sort of what Polysics sounds like. The vocals were OK, though the backing vocals were a little quiet, and the drums are well placed. It just wasn't a clear sound. I'm certain that anyone not already very familiar with the music would have had a tough time trying to hear what was gong on. Then again, that's what most live shows are like. Then again, this was, as I've already mentioned, a MySpace show, and I find it very hard to believe that they couldn't have hired a little more sound mixing muscle to do the job.

Speaking of which, later on while were hovering around the merch booth hoping to get some autographs, we had the misfortune of having to sit though the second band's set. Not only was the band a joke (seriously guys, take some lessons), but the sound had only gotten worse. The vocals were popping in and out, the drums were gone, and the wall of mud had only gotten thicker. And goddamn, that drummer's hat was ridiculous!

Anyway...

Despite the fact there there were only a handful of extremely dedicated Poly-fans in the crowd, the band played their hearts out. I think they even managed to win over most of the room by the end.

Then came the end of the set. As the final song ended and they all bowed to the crowd, the lights dimmed and then...they all started tearing down! They never left the stage or took a break, but instantly started unplugging their gear and breaking down the drums. Themselves. I was blown away.

I don't care who you are, if you're playing a tour sponsored and organized by one of the biggest websites in the world, there is no way that any band should have to tear down their own gear after a show. It was embarrassing. Polysics is a band that playes to tens of thousands of people in Japan, yet when they come over to America they have to cart their amps off stage under the house lights? MySpace might have the social networking thing down, but they don't know dick about how to treat a band.

Anyway...

As I mentioned, after we all picked our flabbergasted asses off the floor, we hightailed it over to the merch booth. We all loaded up, and I asked the guy working the booth if the band would be signing autographs. Indeed they were, so we planted our feet and waited. And waited. And waited. All though that second band's wretched set. It was like going to a high-school assembly and watching little Johnny B Nobody show off his "band." Awful.

Just as they were finishing up, there begain to be various sighting of the Polysics members slinking around the booth. Finally Fumi took over the booth and we pounced. (Oh, and big respect to the other guy standing near us who asked "So, are you guys here just for Polysics too?" I think our age was showing...) I came prepared with my full entourage of Polysics Mister Monster figures (designed by Elizabeth Ito.) It took a while for all four members to come out, but eventually they all stepped behind the counter and signed a ton of autographs. They were all very impressed with the Monsters, much to my enjoyment.

Them: "Ah! Sugoi!"
Me: \(^ ^)/

I also shook hands with them all and they were very nice and talkative. Shaking Kayo's hand was like shaking hands with a cat. It was awesome, to say the least. Oh, and I also gave them Surfactants CDs. I explained to Hiro, "Like Devo inspired Polysics, Polysics inspired The Surfactants." I think he got it. I'm sure we'll be opening for them soon. 八(^□^*) タノム!!





















That's about it.

To review:

1. Polysics is the best band ever.
2. MySpace needs to Google "respect."
3. That second band sucked.
4. Polysics is the nicest band ever.
5. The Surfactants will never open for Polysics.

I'd like to thank Dave and Crystal for not only letting us into their home, but also for feeding us, giving us a tour, and for having the largest and most awesome cat ever (sorry Minty). We would have taken him home, but out trunk wasn't nearly big enough.

***NOTE*** Sorry for those really crappy camera phone photos. It's a crappy camera phone. Also, I had a much better shot of Fumi, but I lost it. Fumi, gomenasai! m(_ _)m ゴメンナサイ

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Consider me jealous!
I ended up flying to NYC to see them, as the tour was completely skipping out on Atlanta. It's no 14 hour drive (although had I drove, it would have been), but I'd say it's worth it 8)

We only got a half hour set, much to my disappointment. I'm glad to hear that they played more in other locations though.

Much like your crowd, ours also rushed the front, despite not being there for POLYSICS. We got there shortly after doors, so we were unable to get more than 15 feet from the stage. It's so inconsiderate (15 year olds *sigh*) to not budge an inch to let people past.
I mean, if someone is there jumping up and down, pumping his fist in the air and singing along with every song, while you're standing there completely disinterested and still not letting them by? You're a jerk D:

You're also lucky to have only had to listen to one of the other acts. We stuck it out through all 3, three hours of torture, just to meet the band. Alas, only Hiro and Yano came out, and not even to the merch booth. We just had to spot them walking around, in normal clothes. :O
We got kicked out when the show ended, so no meeting Kayo and Fumi. :(

Like your show, ours also only had a few die-hard fans sticking it out. Although, surprisingly (or not so much? It was New York, after all), all except for my friends and one other guy, the fans were all Japanese and didn't speak much English :o


Well worth it though. Nice writeup!

RE: Mister Monster figures.
I'd seen pictures of them randomly around, but knew nothing about them! Where can I get one?

Anonymous said...

I was at this show too. I definitely enjoyed the set - even though many in the crowd didn't really like them and it seemed like only a few of us had come out to see Polysics. It was really cool meeting them afterwards too - they signed a poster and album for me which was nice, and I got to talk with Hiro about New Wave music for a few minutes. Even though his English maybe not so good he was very passionate about this subject so he tried as hard as he could to make sense. Honestly I didn't think the other bands were that bad. I would say the second was definitely the worst but it's nothing intolerable, and the final two bands while nothing I'd ever seek out at least put on a decent show with a few catchy songs. Since I paid to see Polysics the rest is kind of like free live music, which I'll take. Hope they come around again!!